Friday, January 16, 2009

What if today was your last day?


What is the last thing you want to smell? No, not your last meal, or last dying wish, or last words..... but the last whiff.

I love many smells, pies cooking, a fresh warm rain, but for me there is one thing. One smell that starts with a deep breath and ends all the way down at my toes.

Maybe you moms out there know what I'm talking about. Fresh out of the bath, bundled and snuggled, tired and cuddly, curled on my lap. I'd pull them close, one by one, until I can feel their fine wispy hairs brushing against my cheeks and lips. Then I'd close my eyes and take a deep deep breath. I'd memorize that smell, that feeling, that soft smooth skin against my cheek. And that's what I'd take with me, until I saw them again.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like the smell of my kids, well, except for my son and his first few months. He had a under developed esophagus which made his constantly spit up for his first year. It was horrible and I begged the doc to do something. But, there was nothing. So, I had to endure him urping up every few minutes and changing his clothes, washing pads and blankets I had to keep him on...or he would get it on furniture, carpet..etc.
    But, my most favorite smell is my husbands neck when we cuddle together. He does not wear fragrances of anykind. I guess it is just his phermones? We are like one. If I were to take my last breath, I would pray that it would be with my nose snuggled up in the crook of his neck and his always warm, huge hands wrapped around my shoulders.
    But, I have not had my grandchild yet...so this could change as soon as he or she gets here!

    ReplyDelete