Saturday, April 12, 2008

Reflections on Conference

Last weekend we had the privilege to listen and watch General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I always have to go back and read conference later because with four boys I only end up catching so much. This conference was special to me in a few ways. First, we had the opportunity to sustain Pres. Thomas S. Monson as the new prophet of our church. Monson has been a favorite of mine since High School and it's hard for me to believe this day has come. I have had a quote from him in my scriptures since my second year of seminary and it is a quote that has always stuck with me: "Eternal Marriage: When you love someone so much that you would do nothing to keep them from going to the Celestial Kingdom." This always reminds me that since I love my husband and family so much, it is up to me to make sure I am doing what I need to do for them and for myself so that we really can be together forever.
As I listened last weekend I really felt that the theme that rang out to me through the entire conference was that of family. I think that in the world today the break up of the family is what is leading our society to failure.Second, one talk that stuck out to me in particular was by Elder M. Russell Ballard. He seemed to speak to me specifically and here is one part that touched me in particular: "...recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." He also quoted author Anna Quindlen, "The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little lessLook at my adorable kids! How could I not just enjoy them every second? That line in bold has been my goal this year. I have not done too well so far and I seem to have a hard time keeping the balance between getting things done and enjoying my family. This is my renewed goal again. When my twins were born a year ago so many people said just to enjoy them because it will go so quickly. I really tried to do this. I have cherished each stage and moment. It has been so amazing and wonderful and I am so blessed to be a mother. I look forward to each moment to come. It's like my husband said a few days ago, I get so frustrated with so many poopy diapers and my older boys still having potty problems and he told me that even though it is so frustrating it will all be over in the blink of an eye. I hope that I won't miss it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. That talk about mothers was excellent and it is one I am going to print off and reread I think because it has a lot of encouragement and hope as well as some good reminders...like you mentioned. I'm very guilty of not enjoying the moments.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. They truly are cuties. Thanks for reminding me of Elder Ballard's talk.

    ReplyDelete